What is Moringa? Moringa plant is native to the planes of India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh and is found in forests of Africa. Although its discovery occurred thousands of years ago it is not until recently that moringa has gained popularity as one of the most effective herbs that boosts immunity and promotes holistic health. National Institute of Health called moringa “the plant of the year” in 2008 for its ability to be beneficial for the environment and cure many ailments.
Up till now, more than 1,300 studies have been conducted to identify moringa benefits and its profound healing ability. Moringa supplements are used as aid in those parts of the world that are more receptive to disease epidemics due to malnutrition and poverty. Almost every part of the plant from its roots to its flower is beneficial one way or another. But the question “What is moringa?” still needs more research to be answered properly.
Moringa tree is a like a capacitor storing all that is good and beneficial in promoting a healthy life. Up till now science has been able to detect more than 80 different types of nutrients in moringa plant. To get a brief idea about how moringa benefits the health, bear in mind that each gram of moringa powder contains:
- Twice the amount of protein of yogurt
- Four times the amount of vitamin A as carrots
- Three times the amount of potassium as bananas
- Four times the amount of calcium as found in cows’ milk
- Seven times the amount of vitamin C as oranges
What are Moringa benefits?
All parts of the plant including its bark, roots, leaves, flowers, seeds, sap and pods contain nutrients and antioxidants. Due to this, Moringa powder possesses countless health benefits and cures several ailments. Moringa tree is called the ‘miracle tree’ and has been used for ages in traditional medicine such as Ayurveda and Chinese herbal medicines.
The various moringa benefits are as follows.
1. Moringa seeds contain 40 percent edible oil that is sweet, odorless, and rich in antioxidants. It is similar to olive oil in its nutritional strength but can go for long periods of time without turning rancid like other oils.
2. Moringa powder is made from its leaves, which are the most widely used parts of this plant. Moringa leaves are edible and contain three times more iron than spinach.
3. Amino acids are called the building blocks of proteins and Moringa has lots of them. Amino acids help to grow, repair and maintain cells in the body. The human body naturally produces 10-12 types of amino acids. 8 remaining amino acids are not produced naturally. Incorporating moringa you’re your diet removes this deficiency as moringa contains all remaining 8 of them.
4. The Moringa leaves are like powerhouses and boost the energy level in the body. Some studies have found moringa supplements to be helpful in healing ulcers, restricting cancer cell re-generation, remove inflammation and joint pains.
5. Moringa powder is very effective immunity booster and daily consumption of moringa as part of the diet significantly improves the body’s resilience to environmental pressures and diseases. Moringa supplements are also prescribed to AIDS patients as an immune boosting supplement.
6. Rich concentration of beta-carotene and Vitamin A in moringa has been helpful in treating temporary blindness and reversing the symptoms of blindness.
7. Moringa powder also increases the natural production of milk in Lactating mother.
8. Controls blood sugar level in the body so it is also helpful for diabetic patients.
9. Moringa supplements also aid in carido–vasular problems by lowering the amount of bad cholesterol in the body.
10. Moringa helps to regulate blood pressure and enhances cell development.
11. This plant also has high levels of antibacterial and detoxification properties. Moringa seeds are used to detoxify water as they can help in absorbing all the impurities from water. Inside the body, Moringa attracts toxins from the blood, promoting blood purification.
12. Moringa is a natural herb and does not carry any side effects so it is safe for consumption for both adults and children.
13. Moringa supplements are far better than synthetic supplements such as calcium supplements in the market. Moringa powder is made for 100% natural moringa leaves and contains no chemicals or synthetic materials.
14. Moringa seeds are aromatic in nature so they are used in making aromatherapy oils and perfumes.
15. Moringa flower contains anti-oxidants such as flavonoids and antioxidants so it is used in making Moringa tea.
16. Moringa supplements apart from being anti-inflammatory are also antiseptic in nature and can be used as first aid to treat injuries like cuts, bruises, and burns.