Effective digestive system is the bare necessity for a healthy lifestyle. Food provides the energy the body needs to function throughout the day but how much effective energy the food provides entirely depends on your digestive system and that is why you need to improve your digestion ability. Digestion is liked to all functions of the body. Aside from providing nutrition to the body, digestion is also liked to immunity, prevention of disease and other factors that affect the health substantially.
Implementing herbs to your diet is one very effective way to improve your digestion. To maintain a healthy lifestyle and to add years to your life keep a look out for what you eat. A good digestion leads to a healthy body.
Some Herbs to Improve your Digestion
- Aloe Vera Leaf (Aloe Vera) – The gel extracted from the aloe vera leaf have super healing abilities it is extremely helpful to improve your digestion. It is widely used to ease digestion and has been used in the treatment of constipation.
- Chia Seeds – These seeds are rich with anti-inflammatory properties and are also a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids and Fibres. All these are necessary for healthy bowel movements and digestive system.
- Oat Bran – Oat bran are jam packed with fibres. Fibre helps clean the digestive track of unwanted materials. Fibres also prevent diabetes and cardio vascular diseases.
- Marshmallow Root – This root helps retain moisture in the stomach which helps in easy expulsion of waste. Dry stools put a lot of strain on the intestines which can cause piles.
- Slippery Elm Bark – Common to areas of North America, this herb has been used since the old age for improving digestive health. The gel like properties of this herb comes from the mucilage surrounding this herbs which contains antioxidants and help prevent inflammation in the stomach and the digestive track.
- Mullein Leaf – This herbs also goes by the funny name of cowboy toilet paper but contains anti-microbial properties which is why it is used for a number of health problems such as constipation, piles (Haemorrhoids), diarrhoea. This herb is also used in medication used to get rid of intestinal worms.
- Barberry Root – This herbs comes with a number of varieties such as Indian barberry, Nepalese bar berry and Mountain Grape. It is high content of Alkaloids which work as a stomach tonic and acts a mild laxative to improve the expulsion of waste materials from the body.
- Dandelion – Apart from being beautiful to look at, these herbs stimulates the digestive system and increases appetite. While some might only consider them to weeds, these herbs are jam packed with a number of vitamins and mineral such as zinc, iron and potassium.
In the Chinese medicine, these herbs have been widely used to treat digestive problems.
- Artichoke – Artichokes are also very helpful in preventing digestive problems. They help promote bile flow and increase the burning of facts while also protecting the intestines from infection and bad bacteria. They also detoxify the digestive track and balance the acidity in the body.
- Fennel – Fennel is a plant that belong to the carrot family and are highly flavourful and aromatic. They are carminative herbs, which means that it prevents the accumulation of gas in the digestive track. Apart from this, it also boosts the digestion process and keeps the digestive tract warm.
- Cardamom – Cardamom is native herbs used in Indian cuisines . If you ever hard a taste of Indian Garam masala, there is a very real chance that you have eaten cardamom. Cardamom herbs are part of the ginger family and are one of the most effective herbs for the digestive system. They have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which help improve the digestive system. It is great herbs to take during episodes of acidity.
- Moringa Oleifera – Moringa is one of those herbs that can be used for almost any function of the body. It is a super herb that has potential to improve overall health of a person. Apart from being excellent for improving the breakdown of nutrients from the food and improving the expulsion of waste from the body, Moringa also helps to boost the immune system of the body.